This blog is for anyone who finds meaning in the little things each day. For anyone who loves animals and our planet and wants to make a difference. For anyone who wants to leave behind happy paw prints.

Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Treat Your Kitty to Cat Grass

As I sit writing, I have the perfect view of the kitchen counter where the cat grass resides, and he is up there chomping away. His mouth opens wide before he chews down vigorously on the grass strand, tearing off as much as he can for a little snack.

The one and only cat I had before Duncan was an outdoor cat, so growing cat grass never crossed my mind. But these days, it seems even more dangerous for a cat to be roaming the streets. My neighbors had three cats--the only one left has been converted to an indoor cat since the other two went outside and never came home. There are too many bad things out there--other animals can hurt them, and they also pick up diseases and health problems that they'd never otherwise encounter. That said, we're keeping Duncan inside. Although it is tempting to see how he does on a lease, so he could accompany me on a walk on a beautiful summer day. For now he's staying indoors.

So, I purchased a little container of grow your own kitty grass that comes with dirt and seeds that you plant yourself. It only cost about $3.50, so I figured what the hey. I was kitty shopping with my boyfriend's brother who told me he had success growing it before. The package boasted that the seeds will sprout within days, though I was still skeptical. But they do not lie--the seeds sprouted in days and merely a week later there is a container of flourishing kitty grass residing on the counter that my cat cannot get enough of.

The package says to place the container in a place accessible to your cat as soon as the grass is 4 inches tall. I decided to put it on the counter--not that I want him up there, but he is constantly venturing up there anyways. I'll be cooking, and he conveniently decides to walk all over the kitchen counter, distracting me and trying to get a lick of whatever food happens to be lying around. I thought maybe if I put his grass on the counter, he will be distracted by it and leave my food alone.

This actually works. He knew immediately that the grass was meant for him, and now when he jumps on the counter he goes straight for the grass and then jumps down when he's done snacking. He loves his grass--it seems like a treat to him, too.

You can get cat grass at any specialty pet store, or even stores like Walmart or Target. It's a worthwhile investment and though it might not last for more than a few weeks, it's cheap enough to replace it when need be. The only maintenance the grass involves is watering it every day just enough so the soil is moist. Plus, it contains nutrients, adds variety into your cat's life, and brings a little of the outdoors inside.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Custom Search